London King's Cross railway station
Just two hours north of London the city of York holds 1,900 years worth of history in its ancient walls. Built by Romans and captured by Vikings, York is one of the world’s most fascinating cities with rich ancient history, Victorian streets, romantic ambiance and fun activities. We will delve into the city’s vibrant culture, take our time to enjoy exquisite architecture, walk through the tangle of quaint cobbled streets, admire the iconic York Minster and attend a ghost walk. We will leave London on Saturday morning, so you don’t need to take any time off.
- Discover the best preserved medieval street in the world-the Shambles. It was mentioned in the Domesday Book of William the Conqueror in 1086!
- See York Minster, one of the world’s most magnificent cathedrals, with foundations rooted in England’s earliest history
- Have dinner in Guy Fawkes Inn (York is Guy’s hometown!)
- Take the opportunity to stroll down an authentically recreated Victorian Street, visit Dick Turpin’s cell and find thousands of world-class artifacts in the Castle Museum
- Dare to travel back in time across the centuries and experience the tantalizingly terrifying tales of York’s ghostly tradition
- Take a stroll on the famous city walls and be sure you will see the famous bars: Bootham Bar, Monk Bar, Walmgate Bar, Micklegate Bar: the four main gatehouses of these aged walls. Sorry if that’s not the kind of “Bar” crawl you imagined!
Nowhere in northern England says ‘medieval’ quite like York, a city of extraordinary cultural and historical wealth that has lost little of its pre-industrial luster. A magnificent circuit of 13th-century walls encloses a medieval spider’s web of narrow streets. At its heart lies the immense, awe-inspiring York Minster.
ITINERARY (subject to change)
Meeting at the King`s Cross at 8 am and traveling to York together (we aim to take a 09.08am train). After leaving our bags in the hotel, we will have a lunch and start exploring the city. We will see famous Shamble`s street and York Minster. In the evening a special treat awaits- as ghost walk!
The ultimate ghost town!
York has a lot of ghosts. In 2002, the International Ghost Research Foundation said it was the most haunted city in Europe, with 504 hauntings within the confines of the ancient walls. Founded by the Romans in 71AD, the city’s violent and volatile history – including Viking invasions, the Norman Conquest and the Civil War – makes its ghostly legacy easy to understand. Not only that, but York is also home to the ‘Ghosts of the Greatest Longevity’, the famous Roman Legionnaires of the Treasurer’s House.
After breakfast and check out and we will have a circular walk around the old city, following the remainings of old City Walls and then visit to Castle Museum. After a nice meal together we will head back to the railway station to take 5.49 train to London King`s Cross
- 1 night’s hotel accommodation in the city center with breakfast,
- entry and guided tour of York Minster
- visit in the Castle Museum
- ghost walk on Saturday evening
- dedicated host from CKAC
- train tickets, food
Single option (subject to availability)*: please contact us if you would like a single option. The supplement is £60.
Price structure: Please make the payment in order to confirm your spot.
Once the payment is done, please get in touch with us before you will book your train tickets.
DISCLAIMER and T&Cs:
INSURANCE: You also confirm that you will be responsible for your own insurance so please make sure that it is at an appropriate level for this trip and the activities you will be participating in. In addition to your own Personal Civil liability insurance, you will need an individual insurance for multi-risk and multi-activity holidays (expenses of cancellation, research – help, repatriation, medical expenses, theft of luggage, etc.) appropriate for the activities to be undertaken as part of the holiday. The general travel insurance is often minimal and rarely adapted to the active holidays. Please check the details with your insurance provider.
Please note that, unless the trip is canceled, the payments are non-refundable, as the costs need to be paid in advance. However, you may be able to sell your place to your friends or other group members if you follow this procedure: http://katsadventures.com/#plx_progress_faq_section